It has been one of the most important institutions and the biggest
centre of education, scientific research and culture of Northern Albania.
The University of Shkodra has passed through many phases:
The Pedagogical Institute was a two academic year studies Institute from 1957 to 1970. Initially there were two branches: Linguistic-Literature-History branch and Physics- Mathematics branch. In the academic year 1962-1963 the Biology-Geography branch was opened and it was the only institution which could qualify primary school teachers for Albania. During this period 4505 teachers were qualified in both systems (full-time and part-time systems).
From 1970 to 1982, it functioned as a three year studies High Pedagogical Institute. There were four branches as follow: Linguistic- Literature, Geography- History, Mathematics- Physics and Biology -Chemistry branch. In 1981 the Elementary Teachers branch was opened (this branch prepared elementary school teachers). During this period 3169 teachers were qualified for both systems.
For nine years, from 1982/1983- 1990/1991, it functioned as four year academic studies High Pedagogical Institute. 1912 teachers were qualified during this period for both systems. The High Pedagogical Institute of Shkodra was named "Luigj Gurakuqi" (a famous patriot and scholar) by the decree of Ministers' Council Nr 124 date: 01.04.1989.
The High Pedagogical Institute' status changed to University of Shkodra, "Luigj Gurakuqi" by the Ministers' Council decree Nr 124, on 28.05.1991. Since then this University has undergone different changes and developments on different aspects. During this period the following faculties opened Law Faculty (1992), Economic Faculty with three branches (Business -Administration 1994, Accounting - Finance 2000, Marketing- Tourism 2001), Foreign Languages Faculty with four branches (English studies- 1994, German Studies- 1996, Italian studies 1998 and French Studies- 2005). Some others branches that are opened are as follow: Pre- Elementary teacher (1996), General Nursery (2001), Informatics (2002), Psychology (2004), Social Work (2005), Physical training and sports (2006), Communication- Mass media (2006), Midwifery (2007) and Physiotherapy (2007) for a total of 24 branches. 7434 students have been graduated under the current system.
During these years The High Pedagogical Institute has had consulting
centres and its own branches all around Albania. It has played a great
role on the consolidation of the educational system in Albania. The
High Pedagogical Institute has had its own branches in Elbasan, Gjirokaster,
Korēė, Berat, Durrės, Fier, Vlorė and consulting
centres in Tiranė, Peshkopi and Sarandė. The Pedagogical
Institutes of Gjirokastra and Elbasan were opened on the strategy
of these Branches.
The University of Tirana has thereby organised its own branches at the Pedagogical Institute of Shkodra since 1996. 585 students have been graduated from the following branches: Veterinary Medicine, Economic- Accountability, Economic -Planning, Electrical Engineering and Construction Engineering.
In these 50 years "Luigj Gurakuqi" University of Shkodra has qualified 17 605 students who work on different fields of sciences, knowledge and leading structures by giving an invaluable help to our national educational system.